Interested applicants contact Ranger Kupono McDaniel at 985-6015.
Love the outdoors? Have family and friends that love the outdoors? Friends is pleased to announce our new Logo Wear – Pack & Go Rain Jackets. Give a stylish gift and support our non-profit at the same time.
SALE PRICE – All Jackets $35.00
4 color choices – Sizes from XS to 2X
Saturday, August 27, 2016, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. FREE!
Join us in Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park for this exciting event.
This year’s festival honors the park’s centennial anniversary. Themed E Ho‘omau (to perpetuate; to continue in a way that causes good to be long-lasting), the 36th annual cultural festival invites people of all ages to engage in authentic Hawaiian cultural practices and learn how native Hawaiians lived closely to the land as its stewards. Enjoy hula and music, watch skilled practitioners demonstrate their art, and try your hand at Hawaiian crafts.
This year’s festival will again include a “BioBlitz,” a fun and hands-on opportunity to observe and document the biodiversity that thrives in the lava flows and native forests of Kīlauea and Mauna Loa Volcanoes, led by individuals and organizations at the forefront of conservation, science and traditional Hawaiian culture. Visitors can learn about the importance of conservation and biodiversity through interactive exhibits at the festival.
Mahalo to all of our members for volunteering at our July 4 Silent Auction. Welcome to our new members and all who supported the event.
Your donations support so many vital park programs and projects.
Again, Mahalo nui loa!
We have been actively making many changes to our website, and fixing glitches. You should now be able to register and pay (if paid event) here on our website. During checkout, it still asks you to go to PayPal. NOTE: you do not need a PayPal account to pay. It will take you to their landing page, but you can still pay using your credit card without signing up for an account.
In the next few days, there will be the added feature to pay directly with your credit or debit card without taking you to the PayPal landing page.
We appreciate your patience.
FYI – Forest Restoration project Registration still needs to go through the forest restoration email.
Happy Holidays from Friends of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park!
Aloha Members & Friends,
Having been with Friends for almost 4 years now, one thing that stands out above and beyond all else is PASSION. Each person I have met cares deeply and genuinely for Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. I am honored to be in such a committed community. With over 25 years working with non-profits, I have a deep appreciation for dedicated and hard-working volunteers and staff. Having worked in both the for-profit world and the not-for-profit world, I know that there is no greater reward than the opportunity to work with passionate volunteers in an outstanding organization.
2015 has been an amazing year. We supported so many projects and programs (not all listed):
- Youth Ranger Program – 28 youth hired in 2015 – over $40,000 cash support and $10,000 in-kind support
- Jr. Ranger Program – in partnership with Hawai’I Pacific Parks Association provided a three-day program to 24 youth.
- Restoration of the Herb Kane work in the Jaggar Museum
- BioBlitz & Cultural Festival – over $20,000 of cash and in-kind support
- Provided 82 Institutes on Demand (private educational tours) to visitors from around the world, including 7 school groups.
- Provided 6 Regular Institutes
- Supported the park’s Artist in Residence Program
- Presented 380 programs at the Volcano House, connecting over 2,500 people to the park
- Received $100,000 grant to restore the Ohia Wing Lobby (happening in early 2016)
- Removed thousands of invasive plant species
- Planted thousands of native plant species
- Hired new full-time support staff
- Installed our first Executive Director
- Supported the park’s safety fair
- Supported the Nene program
- Increased our organization’s income by 44% (since 2014)
Thank you for your continued support. I am eager to see how much we can accomplish
together in the next year supporting our beloved park!
Best wishes during the Holiday Season,
The Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park invite its members to the Annual Membership Meeting to be held on Saturday, September 19, 2015, at the Kahuku Unit of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park.
This event is the annual celebration of our organization as we come together in fellowship and reaffirm our partnership with the National Park Service at Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. The membership will vote on a new slate of board directors, including those seeking re-election and present board members. We will say a fond aloha to our out-going board president Natalie Pfeifer.
Check-in begins at 10:45 am. The meeting will begin at 11:00 am, followed by lunch at noon, catered by the Green Goose.
Please RSVP by September 11, 2015 – Call (808) 985-7373 or email: email@example.com