To support the National Park Service in the protection, preservation, and interpretation of the natural and cultural resources at Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park for the enjoyment of current and future generations.
“IMAGES FROM THE EDGE”
Calling all photographers!
Seeking original, recent photos taken in Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park.
New submission deadline is:
Monday, April 16, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. Hawai‘i Standard Time
(Current Hawai‘i time is: [date_time])
THE PHOTO CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW ENTRIES
$25 entry fee for up to 3 images
To enter, click the “Check out with PayPal” button below. You to NOT need to have a PayPal account to pay; simply use your debit or credit card instead.
Upon successful payment, either click on the PayPal link “Return to Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park” or follow the link in your confirmation email entitled “Continue to Photo Contest Entry Form.” After filling out the Entry Form and accepting the Terms of Agreement, you can upload your photos. See below for digital submission requirements.
- APRIL 16 at 5:00 PM: Submission Deadline
- APRIL 28 at 6:00 PM: Slideshow & Finalists Ceremony at the Kilauea Visitor Center
- MAY 1: Date by which all finalists are notified
- MAY 31 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 NOON: Take-in (or mail-in deadline) of finalists’ photos to the Volcano Art Center Gallery
- JUNE 8 from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Opening Reception at the Volcano Art Center Gallery
- JUNE 8 – 17 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM: Photo Exhibit at the Volcano Art Center Gallery
- JUNE 18 from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM: Pick-up (or mail-out deadline) of finalists’ photos from the Volcano Art Center Gallery
- Amateur-Beginner: a photographer with limited photographic experience.
- Amateur-Advanced: a photographer who has had photos published or has placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a juried contest; this category may also include someone who has been photographing for a number of years and is skilled but may not have entered a contest.
- Professional: a photographer who earns most of her/his income from photography.
Photos must be submitted as digital images. No prints or slides will be accepted. Photos may be color or black & white. Photos must be submitted in JPG format with a minimum resolution of 1,200 pixels (on the longer axis) and a maximum resolution of 1,500 pixels (on the longer axis). Maximum file size is 1 MB (1024 KB) per photo. The photographer’s name must not appear anywhere in or on the digital image to allow for anonymous judging.
Our distinguished jurors are professional photographers Rick Decker and Alvis Upitis of West Hawai‘i. Our two impartial judges will review all entries, which will be judged anonymously on the following criteria: 1) creativity, 2) photographic quality, 3) camera skills, and 4) appropriateness to the theme of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park.
Open to anyone with an original photograph taken in Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park (park entrance fees apply). All photos must have been taken within the last 3 years. Photos must not have been exhibited in any juried show in Hawai‘i. Contestants under the age of 18 must have the consent of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). The photographer must own all rights to photos entered and agree to allow the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and/or the Volcano Art Center to use entered photos for promotional and publicity purposes.
All National Park Service and Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park rules must be followed when taking photographs. Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park staff and board (and their immediate family members) and Volcano Art Center staff and board (and their immediate family members) are not eligible to participate in this contest. Members of both organizations are encouraged to enter.