Happy Holidays from Friends of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park!
Aloha Members & Friends,
Having been with Friends for almost 4 years now, one thing that stands out above and beyond all else is PASSION. Each person I have met cares deeply and genuinely for Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. I am honored to be in such a committed community. With over 25 years working with non-profits, I have a deep appreciation for dedicated and hard-working volunteers and staff. Having worked in both the for-profit world and the not-for-profit world, I know that there is no greater reward than the opportunity to work with passionate volunteers in an outstanding organization.
2015 has been an amazing year. We supported so many projects and programs (not all listed):
- Youth Ranger Program – 28 youth hired in 2015 – over $40,000 cash support and $10,000 in-kind support
- Jr. Ranger Program – in partnership with Hawai’I Pacific Parks Association provided a three-day program to 24 youth.
- Restoration of the Herb Kane work in the Jaggar Museum
- BioBlitz & Cultural Festival – over $20,000 of cash and in-kind support
- Provided 82 Institutes on Demand (private educational tours) to visitors from around the world, including 7 school groups.
- Provided 6 Regular Institutes
- Supported the park’s Artist in Residence Program
- Presented 380 programs at the Volcano House, connecting over 2,500 people to the park
- Received $100,000 grant to restore the Ohia Wing Lobby (happening in early 2016)
- Removed thousands of invasive plant species
- Planted thousands of native plant species
- Hired new full-time support staff
- Installed our first Executive Director
- Supported the park’s safety fair
- Supported the Nene program
- Increased our organization’s income by 44% (since 2014)
Thank you for your continued support. I am eager to see how much we can accomplish
together in the next year supporting our beloved park!
Best wishes during the Holiday Season,