Guided Hike on a 60 Year Old Lava Lake
sat14dec10:00 amsat2:00 pmGuided Hike on a 60 Year Old Lava LakeFHVNP Institute Adventure
(Saturday) 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Kīlauea Iki Overlook
Crater Rim Drive, Volcano, HI 96718
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!
Kīlauea Iki This 4 hour guided hike is $80.00 per person. Purchase your ticket(s) above. Descend through a lush rain forest to the floor of the solidified, however still steaming Kīlauea Iki
This 4 hour guided hike is $80.00 per person. Purchase your ticket(s) above.
Descend through a lush rain forest to the floor of the solidified, however still steaming Kīlauea Iki Crater lava lake. Peer into the 1959 vent that erupted to a height of 1900 feet located below the Pu‘u Pua‘i cinder cone.
Meet at Kīlauea Iki Overlook 19.4169444, -155.2511111
Of interest: Walking through a rain forest, viewing native birds, walk on the 1959 lava lake, view steam vents, cinder cones and spatter cones.
- Difficulty: Moderate to challenging – Steep and rocky, descent & ascent 400 feet (122m).
- Distance and hiking time: 4 mile (6.4 km) loop. Approximately 4 hours.
- Distance from Visitor Center to trailhead: 2 miles (3.2km).
- Trail begins: At the Kīlauea Iki parking lot on Crater Rim Drive.
- Bring: Water, lunch, hat, sunscreen and rain gear. Be prepared for hot, dry, wet, windy weather conditions and steep and rocky terrain.
Ahu (stacked rocks) mark the trail across the crater floor. Please do not disturb them or build new ones.
This event is presented by the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.