(Saturday) 9:30 am - 2:00 pm
Kīlauea Iki Overlook
Crater Rim Drive, Volcano, HI 96718
Due to the ongoing volcanic activity, this walk may be rescheduled. All registered participants will be informed as to the status, one day prior to the event. Members may
Due to the ongoing volcanic activity, this walk may be rescheduled. All registered participants will be informed as to the status, one day prior to the event. Members may continue to register.
This monthly program normally held on second Sundays (this month we will hold our hike on Saturday, due to Mother’s Day) is aimed at bringing together the members of the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park to explore the park’s beautiful trails.
Descend through a lush rain forest to the floor of the solidified, however still steaming Kīlauea Iki Crater lava lake. Peer into the 1959 vent that erupted to a height of 1900 feet located below the Pu‘u Pua‘i cinder cone.
Of interest: Walking through a rain forest, viewing native birds, walk on the 1959 lava lake, view steam vents, cinder cones and spatter cones.
- Difficulty: Moderate to challenging – Steep and rocky, descent & ascent 400 feet (122m).
- Distance and hiking time: 4 mile (6.4km) loop. Approximately 2 to 3 hours.
- Distance from Visitor Center to trailhead: 2 miles (3.2km).
- Trail begins: At the Kīlauea Iki parking lot on Crater Rim Drive. You may go either way from the trailhead. Going left will take you to the Thurston Lava Tube parking lot and then down to the floor of Kīlauea Iki. Going right will take hikers through the rain forest on the crater rim and down to the crater floor.
- Bring: Water, food, hat, sunscreen and rain gear. Be prepared for hot, dry, wet, windy weather conditions and steep and rocky terrain.
Ahu (stacked rocks) mark the trail across the crater floor.
This event is presented by the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Program cost is FREE for Friends members. Non-members are welcome to join the Friends in order to attend. And, of course, additional donations are always accepted. Park entrance fees apply.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
All attendees must be a current Friends Member. If you are not a member, you may register at checkout
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!