(Sunday) 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park
This monthly program on second Sundays is aimed at bringing together the members of the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park to explore the park’s beautiful trails. This month’s
This monthly program on second Sundays is aimed at bringing together the members of the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park to explore the park’s beautiful trails. This month’s 2.5-mile round-trip walk explores Mauna Ulu.
Experience a lava landscape from the 1969-1974 Mauna Ulu flow. Walk by lava tree molds and climb 210 feet (64m) to the top of a forested cinder cone, Pu‘u Huluhulu (hairy hill). View Mauna Ulu’s steaming sheild, which is similar to the now active Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō cone in the distance. On a clear day you can see Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea and the Pacific Ocean.
Of interest: Pāhoehoe and ‘a‘ā lava, kīpuka (old land surrounded by new land), lava tree molds, cinder cones, lava rampart, native pioneer plants and trees and panoramic vista.
- Difficulty: Moderate – Most of the route is easy, but includes a 1/4 mile steep climb up Pu‘u Huluhulu cone.
- Distance and hiking time: 2.5 miles (4.0km) roundtrip, Approximately 2.0 – 3.0 hours.
- Trail Begins: Approximately 100 yards (91.4m) from the Mauna Ulu parking area. Ahu (stacked rocks) mark the trail across the lava flows. Please do not disturb them or build new ones. Stay on the trail.
- Bring water, food, hat, sun protection and rain gear.
- Be Prepared for hot, dry, wet, windy weather conditions and rocky terrain.
Dependent on the wind direction, volcanic fumes may be present along this trail.
Protect delicate lava formations. Surface patterns and lava trees are fragile. Reduce your impact. Please do not touch these formations.
This event is presented by the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Program cost is FREE for Friends members. Non-members are welcome to join the Friends in order to attend. And, of course, additional donations are always accepted. Park entrance fees apply.
All attendees must be a current Friends Member. If you are not a member, you may register at checkout
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!