Sunday Walk in the Park - Kīlauea Iki - August 14, 2022
(Sunday) 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Kīlauea Iki Overlook
Crater Rim Drive, Volcano, HI 96718
All attendees must be a current Friends Member. If you are not a member, you may register at checkout
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!
This monthly program on second Sundays is aimed at bringing together the members of the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park to explore the park’s beautiful trails. Kīlauea Iki Descend
This monthly program on second Sundays is aimed at bringing together the members of the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park to explore the park’s beautiful trails.
Descend through a lush rain forest to the floor of the solidified, however still steaming Kīlauea Iki Crater lava lake. Peer into the 1959 vent that erupted to a height of 1900 feet located below the Pu‘u Pua‘i cinder cone.
Of interest: Walking through a rain forest, viewing native birds, walk on the 1959 lava lake, view steam vents, cinder cones and spatter cones.
- Difficulty: Moderate to challenging – Steep and rocky, descent & ascent 400 feet (122m).
- Distance and hiking time: 4 mile (6.4km) loop. Approximately 2 to 3 hours.
- Distance from Visitor Center to trailhead: 2 miles (3.2km).
- Trail begins: At the Kīlauea Iki parking lot on Crater Rim Drive.
- Bring: Water, food, hat, sunscreen and rain gear. Be prepared for hot, dry, wet, windy weather conditions and steep and rocky terrain.
Ahu (stacked rocks) mark the trail across the crater floor.
This event is presented by the Friends of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Program cost is FREE for Friends members. Non-members are welcome to join the Friends in order to attend. And, of course, additional donations are always accepted. Park entrance fees apply.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED